Wednesday 26 August 2009

Willow's bad day

After a lengthy lie-in, I got up this morning and trundled downstairs and let the dogs out into the garden. I then fed them (although Tangent turned his nose up at his food so lost his breakfast) and started loading the washing machine. The back door was left open so the dogs could go out if they needed after breakfast which is just what Willow attempted. With my back to the door, I heard an almightly slam as the wind caught the door and smacked it closed. Luckily Willow had managed to get through before it shut on her. At least I thought she had until I saw a little tuft of white hair jutting out on my side of the door. I quickly opened the door to free her tail, and recieved a look of 'did you do that?' Drama over, I returned to loading the machine. Then I noticed a small dot of blood on the kitchen floor. I located Willow (primarily by following the blood streaks on the walls!) and felt her tail. She was bleeding a little so it was hard to see the damage, but it felt like she has severed the very tip (about 3mm) of her tail. I promptly woke Gareth up to ask if he knew where the first aid kit was (double-bagged, no doubt) and he came downstairs and had a look at her tail. He thought she had crushed the tip so we phoned the vet for advice. As she wasn't bleeding much and her gums were pink we didn't think she needed to actually go there and the receptionist agreed as long as we took her in if the bleeding didn't stop or she was in a lot of pain.

Willow is pretty good at looking after her injuries herself, so we left her licking her wound whilst I had my interview in the afternoon. When we got back, I was sitting in the living room when I saw a tuft of white hair lying on the floor where Willow had taken occupancy. It turned out to be the tip of her tail! I'm so amazed that she didn't yelp or something when she caught it in the door because that surely must of hurt.
The tip of Willow's tail. Ouch!

Willow and the tail tip that is no more. I think this is the most tragic expression I've ever caught on Willow's face. I don't blame her, the thought of it still makes me cringe and I don't even have a tail!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Poor Willow. What a tail of woe! (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!)