Saturday 8 August 2009

RJ

The time in Plymouth is helping me unwind a bit regarding the bed bug situation. I'm not jumping quite so often everytime I see a bit of black lint now. I'm still not too keen on returning to our bug-ridden home, but I think I will be more level-headed with regard to any decisions we have to make (there is a tendency to be a little paranoid and OTT when you are lacking sleep and stressed to the eyeballs)!

My parents bought a 12 week old African Grey parrot today. They used to own one a few years back but he died inexplicably aged 5 years. They hadn't planned on ever getting another one, but just bonded with him in the shop! They have named him RJ and he is pretty needy at the moment. He adores attention and sulks if he isn't hugged! He's currently settling in as he has had a lot to cope with recently - he only arrived in the shop three days ago. Again, I will upload some photo's asap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Elaine and I looked at your blog a few weeks ago and then forgot about it until now so here I am. This bug situation sounds like an absolute nightmare and I'm not sure that I would have coped with it as well as you have. You are probably very relieved to be away from it all for a while and will be more level headed and will not jump ( sorry to use the word jump ! ) to any conclusions about what you want to do.

Hope your parents enjoy their parrot ( why is he called RJ - I am trying to think what RJ may stand for - racing jogger perhaps! ). I don't like birds being kept as pets in general but parrots are ok. There is a house not far from me where exotic small birds are kept in fenced cages all day and night - doesn't seem right to me....ok, that's my rant over with - maybe I should start my own blog!

Peter

Lainey said...

Hi Peter!

The bed bugs weren't exactly what we were expecting. On the plus side at least we moved up early enough to start to deal with them before Gareth starts his Masters in September. But the break from it is certainly doing us good - it's surprising how much sleep you lose when you wake up thinking a bug is on you when it's really your hair brushing your face!

RJ were the initials of my Grandad who died earlier this year, but my parents have since changed his name to Jack as they think it suits him more.
Captive birds is an awkward ethical issue. Personally, if they are bred in captivity and get out of their cages for a lot of time I'm not too against it - especially as a conservation tool!

Lainey said...

Changed the parrot's name, not my Grandad, I mean!