Wednesday 11 June 2014

Back to swimming

I recently realised that between illnesses and returning to work, I haven't managed to take Rowan swimming in almost a year. I couldn't believe it had been that long!  He really enjoyed it the couple of times we did go.  So last week I was determined to get him back to the pool whilst he's still at an age where he's more receptive to new experiences (he's already starting to get a little shy around strangers).  We arrived at the pool eager to rekindle our swimming sessions only to be confronted with a sign announcing the child-friendly pool was closed till midday.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the car in the afternoon so we had to drive back.
I tried again today and the pool was open as usual (hurrah!).  When we got changed I then noticed I'd forgotten to pack regular nappies with me.  I did have some spare swim nappies, but boy are they expensive!  Luckily the nappy he wore to the pool was still clean and dry, so I could put it back on again after.

We got into the pool, Rowan clinging on to me like a stubborn limpet, and I walked around with him to get him used to the water.  He did look a little anxious to start with, but soon became absorbed in people-watching shouting "baby!" whenever he saw a small child bobbing past.  When he got comfortable with being carried around I then held him vertically at arm's length.  He smiled, then sprung back into my arms (I'm certain I could have let go of him and he would still be stuck firmly to me!)
Eventually Rowan was happy to let me support his chest and stomach whilst he kicked his legs and wiggled in his version of swimming.  He was merrily 'swimming' like this yelling "bab!" [bath] at anyone in earshot. Occasionally he would stop to drink some of the pool water, then carry on.

We spent half an hour in in the pool, which I was very surprised by.  I was expecting Rowan to have a bit of a melt-down when we got in and have to leave quite quickly.  I had visions of doing weekly 10 minute sessions until he was comfortable.
Rowan seriously disapproved of the showers after our swim, but since I take him on my own there isn't really an alternative (i.e. palm him off to someone else whilst I shower).  Plus I wanted to get the chlorine off him as soon as possible.

I'm hoping to take Rowan every week, and I think it should be realistically walkable if I don't have the car.

I didn't have my camera or phone with me so there are no photos from today's swim, instead here's a picture of Rowan climbing in the fridge when I was cleaning it.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blogs and laughed out loud when I got to the photo. I bet he was disappointed not to find any food!

Love Lynn

Lainey said...

He was fascinated with the fridge light! We have had to replace the lock on the fridge though as he has taken to helping himself to jam and milk.

Anonymous said...

Just checking you have done a good job, Rowan is a very house proud child.

Love Mum. xxx

Lainey said...

Probably! Although it wasn't the most helpful when he tipped a whole bucket of water the kitchen, and I had to move the freezer and fridge to mop it all up.
He does not like idle hands.