Friday 1 February 2013

Rowan's first art session

I decided it was time for Rowan's first art session.  As it was bath night last night I figured that was the best time to start.  I wanted to get some foot and hand prints whilst he's still tiny so I dug around in my art stuff (quite a task since I have a crazy amount of art gear that has become ridiculously disorganised over several house moves) to find some suitable materials.  I found some ink which was pretty inert (it's acid and lignin-free) so is probably safe to use on baby skin.  To be sure it would clean off ok I smeared ink from several inkpads on my own fingers first and wiped it off.  I'm glad I did this as I immediately eliminated three of my inkpads as some of it stained!

I started off taking photos, but Rowan began working himself up into a near apoplectic state, so I cut the session short and got on with bathing him.  Next time I think I'll time it better as I think he was hungry and in no mood to play at Jackson Pollock.

N.b. Rowan has had a bit of an acne outbreak, hence his flushed appearance.

Step 1:  Organise your inks and baby on a wipeable
changing mat 

 Step 2:  Make sure you have baby wipes very close
to hand

Step 3:  Realise your baby is still wearing the white
cardigan your mum knitted, so remove above apparel
before continuing

 Step 4:  Liberally apply ink to foot, making sure you
have a firm grasp of said foot so you don't end up
with footprints over changing mat, muslin, babygrow,
baby, self and surfaces you didn't realise were
within reach of baby's foot

 Step 5:  Wait for ink and tears to dry, and take 
photos of baby with artwork once he has calmed down

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun with an original master piece as the end result. Will this now be an annual event to show his progress towards size 11`s!

Grandma Lynn

Paula said...

Rowan's first craft session..a significant milestone, right up there with first smile, first tooth and first steps :-)

Doesn't sound like his first smile was going to be during his first art session though!

Lainey said...

I hope to do this annually. I'm not sure how impressed Rowan will be with his mum chasing after him with an inkpad when he's 18 though!

I'm hoping it shows an artistic temperment, and not a dislike of creativity.