Thursday 17 January 2013

Three weeks old

Rowan is now far more alert than when we first brought him home, and it's really nice to see him take an interest in his surroundings. Although we would appreciate it if his interest started earlier in the day and didn't extend into the late evening/night.

Love the look of interest on his face!

That said, we have had a few three hour blocks of sleep during the night over the last four nights, and it's been bliss!  I'm not sure if this will persist, or whether it's just a short-term thing, but we're enjoying it while it lasts.  Whilst not forcing a routine, we're trying to establish a pattern of bedtime and daytime.  So we change him into day clothes in the morning and vice versa for night, keep the lights really low at night (thank goodness for the Lumie!), I don't make eye contact or speak during night feeds, and we put him upstairs in the Moses basket between 7pm-9pm, depending on when he falls asleep. We know he's too young for a rigid timed routine, but it's all good practise for us if nothing else!

'Stay asleep...'

As my family are currently suffering with colds, and it'll be a while before they can see Rowan, I've added a few random photos below to keep them going!  I also realised that my mother-in-law can't access the update photos I've been adding to Facebook.
Apologies for the baby photo heavy nature of this post; it's not because I'm turning into one of those obsessive 'look!  My baby just blinked, so I took a photo that obviously the whole world will be interested in!' mums.

First day at home.  9 days old.

First bath.  Rowan really enjoys bathtime luckily!  He's not so keen on the drying aspect.
We regularly baste him in olive oil as it helps with dry skin without being too harsh.  We've
threatend to roast him a couple of times if he doesn't sleep. 

 Angelic pose

Not so angelic pose

It's surprising how quickly you get used to handling 
a baby.  Initially I was afraid to pick him up in case
I snapped his neck, or his head caved in! 

Quizical look.  Roughly translated as
'where's the boob?'

4 comments:

Unknown said...

He's so adorable! (Except for the crying I'm sure) xx

Paula said...

Thank you! You can't possibly post too many baby photos! I love the 'where's the boob?' picture! My cough is still lingering, now Tom has caught it too and Emma is basically a snot monkey, so photos will have to suffice for now. Go away germs!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paula there can never be too many baby photos, Rowan looks so hugable! love the photo of his 1st day home showing off his lovely warm cardigan. I`ve saved the photo`s so that I can send them onto Great Grandma & Great Grandad plus Great Aunties Sue & Carol.
Grandma Lynn

Lainey said...

Luckily, he's not an excessively grisly baby (so far).

That's rubbish re. the colds! I hope they clear up soon. Being ill sucks.

The cardigan was one Mum knitted him, I hope everyone enjoys the photos.