Friday 24 October 2008

Update and stress

I spent last week with my sister and her family as it was my nephew's 4th birthday. It was fantastic being able to spend some decent time with them all as I haven't really seen them much in the last few years when I was at university. It's horrible not really knowing your nephew and niece that well, but I feel that I now know them a bit more. I even became my niece's best playmate for a couple of days after engaging in hop scotch - which my dad kindly fobbed on to me! - and a blanket-over-your-head-means-I-can't-see-you game. I will post some pictures up when I can, but at the moment things are so upside down I don't know when that will be.

On a bit of a negative note, I had to take Willow to the vets yesterday as she had developed a sudden red sore on her side which had spread to her lips. She'd obviously been licking it incessently and her fur had started to fall out in clumps. The vet said it was a hot spot, or rather severe wet ecsema. She's now got some cortisol spray to apply onto the area so it should start to clear in the next day or two. The vet said it could be due to a number of reasons, but I think it is stress brought on my her inconsistent and unsettled life right now - Gareth and I appear every few days then disappear, last week Mum, Dad and I vanished for a week etc. It doesn't help that Willow and I are probably over-bonded and I think she's not dealing with being apart from me well. The stress theory would also account for her losing 1kg of weight in less than two weeks. I've increased her meal ration which I'm sure she will be pleased with.
I'm now left wondering if I should move back in with my parents if Willow isn't coping. I know I should probably not have my living base dictated to by my dog, but I can hardle sit her down and explain to her that yes, the situation at present is not ideal, but I'm looking for a job and then we can all move back in together. She just doesn't understand why things are the way they are just now.
She's not happy, and neither am I. I hate living away from my own dog, and I hate feeling like I'm getting nowhere in changing it.

2 comments:

Paula said...

We loved having you with us last week. The Podlings keep asking after Auntie Wainey! It seems like a long time since we'd been able to spend so much time together and I loved having you here.

I'm so sorry things aren't going well in your life at the moment. It must be so frustrating feeling so helpless about everything. Especially when your dog gets sick so you get to add feelings of guilt to all your other stresses! Wish there was something I could do to help. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Lainey said...

It was fun! I'm glad I was alble to make it :)

Thanks for letting me know you're there. I think it's just a case of riding through the situation until things start settling for us. Sometimes it just gets to me more than others!