Friday 4 May 2007

Honours update

In all probability it looks like I will be doing the Tick job as an honours prokect. It will probably work out better than the dog one as I figure it's easier to get solid data - the problem with working with canine olfaction is there is a lot of subjectivity, and you cannot control what scents invade your study area! I'm still going to talk to through with with a lecturer.
The tick job will allow me to do PCR (polymerase chain reaction) which amplifies DNA and aids identification etc. of species - just one of the applications of this process anyway! It's a valuable skill which will help with future jobs/studies.
All in all though I'm not too impressed with how the honours allocations have been handled. It's basically just a mad scramble for whatever you can get; there is no choice system - I could've ended up doing something with plants despite my degree being in zoology. If I hadn't got this studentship then I would probably be stuck with a topic I had no interest in. Whinge whinge whinge.

No comments: