Sunday 5 May 2013

Mother's Day

A belated post on the Mother's Day gifts I made for my Mum and Mother-in-law this year. I wanted to make a 'gift in a jar' and finally settled on making a cookie mix.  This consists of layering the dry ingredients of a cookie mix in a decorated jar, and including a recipe card for the recipient to complete them. I took inspiration from www.bakerella.com and used her Cowgirl Cookie recipe (which can be found here).  As the recipe was in American cups, I had to convert the butter amount on the recipe card to metric (250 grams, if you were wondering).

Considering I was attempting to make them in the brief times when Rowan was napping, or whilst trying to simultaneously entertain him, I was quite happy with the outcome. Although I would have liked to spend a tad more time on them to make them look professional instead of something I brought home from school (i.e. printing out the recipe/'how to' label instead of handwriting it, and co-ordinating the themes better - I was stashbusting and nothing in my stash quite worked together).  Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, here are the results:





If I did them again I would use chocolate chips as the original recipe suggested, rather than chop up a bar of chocolate. Small bits of chocolate fell through to the layer beneath, so it lost the crisp contrast of layers.
The cookies are delicious, and you can freeze up the cookie balls to bake when you fancy some warm cookie goodness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cookies are fantastic, I have some in my freezer ready to be cooked & consumed today ! It was a lovely gift, thank you Elaine & Gareth + Rowen for taking his naps so you could make it.

Love Lynn