Sunday 3 October 2010

Mermaid of the Pearls

After working on this cross stich on-and-off for ten years, I have finally finisher Miribilia's 'Mermaid of the Pearls.' I have to say I am very proud of this accomplishment as it is a very detailed and itricate design stitched on 32 count evenweave. It incorporates a range of techniques such as blending, fraction stitches, using metallic thread, backstitiching and copious amounts of beading. That is primarily why I chose the design as it taught me alot about cross-stitch. I have to admit, I was not originally that fond of the design but it has grown on me.

This project took me so long as I was working on several other designs at the same time. I find that it helps to have a few smaller things on the go when you have a large project - you can go a little cross-eyed with these intricate projects! I also completed a few larger projects, including three birth samplers for my sister.

So, without further pre-amble, here is 'Mermaid of the Pearls.'

Close-up of the mermaid's face detail and some beading

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is lovely, good job Elaine! Are you going to frame it?

Lainey said...

I will eventually - I had thought about framing it myself as I have some mount cutters. But I don't have the necessary skill to frame this type of sewing as it's quite 3D!