Saturday 21 February 2015

Project #4

I made a long bib for Rowan completely upcycled from items languishing in my remnants pile. It might not be the most coordinated accessory, but it's perfectly functional!

Pleased with his new bib

I cut an old hand towel in half and trimmed off the patterned ends. Using one half of the towel, I double-folded the raw edges and sewed them closed. 
For the ribbed collar, I cut the collar out from an old T-shirt of Gareth's.  I then used it as a template to mark the neck hole in the towel and cut out a circle.  I pinned the collar to the towel and sewed it to the towel and finished it with a zigzag stitch along the raw edge (if I knew how to use my overlocker I could have omitted the zigzag step).

Super simple towel-bib

This was a really easy project that took less than half an hour to throw together.  You could easily make a couple of these during nap times (if your children still nap).
I still need to trim the seams around the collar, but Rowan was so thrilled with his new bib he refused to take it off when I tried it on him to test for fit. He wore it like a superhero cape!

I like the length of this towel-bib. I find a lot of the commercially bought bibs are just too short for a 2 year old.  I'm looking forward to making a second bib with the remaining half of the towel once I have access to another collar - Gareth may need to keep an eye on his T-shirts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an excellent idea,

Love Lynn

Josie said...

Very cool piece of upcycling! It looks great for a boy, not too babyish and wow it even turns into a super hero cape - Love it x

Lainey said...

Thank you :)