Sunday 15 May 2011

The ugly cake

I tried out a new cake recipe a couple of weeks ago that was reticent about coming out of the cake tin. When it finally did, it did not prove to be the most aesthetic of bakery products. I put some vanilla buttercream between the layers but it still looked pretty damn ugly - even claiming the 'homemade' look was deliberate couldn't really excuse this travesty!

As I had some chocolate couveture that was nearing its date, I melted this over the top. Unfortunately this didn't help matters:


Not wanting to admit defeat, I melted some white chocolate I had and made some cool swirly patterns. I actually think it turned out ok! Looks aside, the cake was very tasty!
Next time I use this recipe though I think I will try and get some proper cocoa powder, and not use hot chocolate powder; the slight anaemic look doesn't help matters!

4 comments:

Paula said...

I love the swirls!

It's prettier than my attempt at a pineapple upside down cake. It too was reluctant to come out of the tin. In my attempt to get it out, I missed the cake plate and the entire cake went 'splat' all over the hob. I managed to salvage some cake, which tasted delicious, but the presentation could have been better! I called it my pineapple topsy turvy cake!

Lainey said...

You should have put Malibu in it; then you blame the cake for not holding its liquer and falling over drunk.

Anonymous said...

As long as the cake tasted Ok thats the main thing. I tried to make a "round" of bread just like Hugh does on the telly. I shapped it into a lovely round ball, placed it to rise and it did in all directions, when it reached the oven it expanded even more into a monster and I managed to burn it! We cut the crusts off and it tasted fine although wouldn`t it fit in the bread bin.

Anonymous said...

Comment from anonymous is from Lynn.