Sunday 15 August 2010

Make do and mend!

I was inspired to attempt to extend the life of my clothes after following http://www.secondfiddlecrafts.blogspot.com/ (that and being skint), so I set about making a skirt from an old pair of jeans. These jeans were given to me by sister a few years ago, and they developed a hole in the crutch. I hope to get at least a few more months use out them. I used the instructions from www.savvyseams.com/clothing/jeanskirt.php as a guide and I have to say, I am quite pleased with the result:

I tried to replicate the existing seam pattern, but my

sewing machine couldn't handle the thick layers of fabric

so it kinda stops dead by the zip! I also got the tension wrong

on the hem, plus its in a different colour thread to the rest of the

stitching, but hey, it was my first attempt!

I'm attempting to bring back pale and ashen and make it chic.

(Excuse my bloated gut at the top of the photo).


Side view showing a faded area that used to be the 'knees'

of my old jeans.

They do look rather homemade, but I think they are fine for dossing about the house. Hopefully the next skirt I make from old jeans will come out a bit more professional!

1 comment:

Paula said...

These are really cool and you did a great job on them. Denim is a pig to sew!

Bloated gut indeed! I'd give my right arm to have a stomach like that. Sadly three children have take their toll on my abdomen. I guess you can't stretch your gut that much three times and expect to ping back on its own!