Thursday 10 April 2008

Edinburgh Zoo

For Gareth and mine's 7th anniversary since we got together, we went to Edinburgh Zoo yesterday. I think Gareth planned that more with me in mind as I don't think it's necessarily something he'd choose himself! We wanted to make this one a bit special as it's the last 'since we got together' anniversary we'll be celebrating as from the wedding, we'll switch the anniversary to that date (it gets expensive else!)


I was very excited as the zoo have maned wolves and African hunting dogs, but as it was raining and snowing (it is Scotland after all) they were hiding or sleeping! Oh well. We had an ace time, and even got to hold a hissing cockroach - perhaps not quite as exciting as holding the python they had, but that wasn't an option!

Gareth with a jaguar - it was pretty much the only animal
except for the penguins who wasn't hiding from the weather!

Emperor penguins striking dodgy deals with each other

Edinburgh Zoo: Home of the only eight-legged zebra



Axolotl : Neotenous salamanders - they retain juvenile

characteristics into adulthood, such as external gills.



In the evening we went out into Edinburgh city centre to a Chinese and Japanese restaurant where we had sushi and sashimi, and I also got to try saki. It was a really nice meal, and we didn't disgrace ourselves with the chopsticks - although I am out of practise! Saki is ok, but I found it a little on the sharp side once it had cooled (I didn't realise you could drink saki hot, but there you go; live and learn)


We finished the evening off with a couple of drinks in the hotel bar where we went beyond sobre, but not paralyectic before retiring to our room.


We left the hotel fairly early this morning to mosey around Edinburgh before getting the train back. Gareth found a good whiskey shop, so he was happy!


It was a fantastic anniversary, and we're abolutely shattered now. It's nice getting away, but also nice getting back to your own bed.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Happy anniversary! I'm so glad the two of you got to spend some time away together, especially with all the stress of your finals coming up. Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

Lainey said...

Thanks! It was great getting out of Aberdeen. When I got back I found out my exam timetable was out too, so at least I didn't have that to worry about before we left. My last exam is the 27 May!

Paula said...

That's Lily's birthday.