Friday 8 February 2008

disillusionment

Degrees are never quite what you expect them to be. When I took animal behaviour as a course I had hoped it would have more leanings towards ethology than modelling. The primary difference being that the former involves watching and studying real animals, and the latter just constructing mathematical models of potential animal behaviour, which frankly is just too abstract (and dull) for my brain to cope with.
On the plus side, I have found a few universities that offer postgraduate courses in pet behaviour councilling, so this degree wasn't a complete misdirection! Frustrating as I waited four years to do this advanced animal behaviour course and it's rubbish! The postgrad courses do entail trying to get two years experience first, so I'll have to arrange something with that - harder than it seems as working with animals is competitive; even the voluntary 'no pay' type.
The other downside is the the nearest postgrad course to Plymouth is Southampton, so that may entail moving in a couple of years. Although that is a great deal closer than where I currently am!

No comments: