Friday 9 March 2007

Read the small print

A while ago I volunteered to be a subject for Gareth's dissertation project on fatigued muscles and performance. Yesterday was the third and final session and where the 'fatigue' became more apparent. After spending over half an hour doing 100 plyometric jumps from a small platform in order to basically kill any will to live in my leg muscles, I was allowed a half hour rest before running on a treadmill at various paces. Ok, my legs felt a little sorry for themselves after, but not quite as bad as I was expecting. After this, Gareth and I returned home, threw some food down ourselves before heading out to do our fortnight shop. As you can imagine, two weeks worth of food is pretty heavy; even if you are catching the bus. By now, my arms and back were beginning to have more sympathy for my legs, instead of the smug mocking they had adopted throughout the fatigue session.
Well, that was nothing compared to the burning ache of today! After melodramatically climbing the stairs from our basement flat and walking straight-legged to university, I was then faced with the depressing fact that you never realise how many stairs and inclines there are dotted about unless every muscle bites you.

Somehow I don't think I'll be running home from work tomorrow.



I was watching Draco watching me a couple of days ago and found it amazing how a three-foot snake can manage to fit himself under an egg box with relative comfort;




He's always had eggboxes as a hide, trouble is he's getting too big for the largest ones available! He's a bit more alert now as he shed recently and is sporting his new shiny skin. Just a relief he's not grumpy as he gets tetchy when he's about to shed. Fair enough I guess, as snakes' eyes go cloudy before they shed and I think I'd be irritable too if I couldn't see properly and my skin was too tight!

No comments: