Saturday 30 June 2012

The first trimester

I’m currently 15 weeks pregnant, so officially in the second trimester.

These last couple of months have been hard. I remember people telling me how tired being pregnant can make you, but until you’re actually pregnant I don’t think you can really comprehend just how exhausted you feel all the time. Add to this a constant feeling of nausea that stays with you all day and evening, and you the whole miracle of growing a baby inside you is a little overshadowed by just how miserable you feel.

I even reached the point at 10 weeks when I stopped running (and exercising altogether). Walking to and from work was exhausting enough. I did feel bad about this, since I was always adamant that I was never to be one of those pregnant women who just sit on their arses. However, my body was giving pretty strong signals that an afternoon nap was about as exciting as my social life was going to get! Fortunately, the tiredness (and sickness) seem to be lifting, and I’ve managed to get back to dog club and start pregnancy yoga recently. Although I have decided to forego running altogether until I’ve had the baby. Apparently your tendons turn to elastic (due to a hormone called relaxin) when you’re pregnant, and as I’ve only recently recovered from tendonitis I think it’s sensible if I keep to low-impact exercise. A hard decision, since I love running!

Luckily I haven’t actually been physically sick, but I often wished I was just in case it would make me feel better! Rushing to the toilet just to stand over it feeling like you’re going to hurl, but nothing coming up can be frustrating. Having said that, I am completely rubbish at being unwell anyway, and very impatient when I am ill, so maybe I’m just being a wuss. I did find it reassuring feeling nauseous though. In my mind it meant the baby was doing ok!


A brief summary of my thoughts during the first trimester:

1. I’ve forgotten what having energy feels like
2. Feeling sick all the time is both exhausting and boring
3. I miss pooping
4. My boobs look awesome!
5. Is there really a baby in there?

Below I’ve included some belly shots to show my slowing growing bump.  I've tried to wear the same jeans (while they still fit!) to give some kind of reference point.

 5 weeks pregnant.
I included this shot so I could look back
and remember what it was like to once
have a waist!

8 weeks pregnant.
Goodbye abdominal muscles!  It's been
fun beasting you with crunches.  See you
in a few months for more beasting!

10 weeks pregnant.
The stirrings of a bump.
Although at this point it looks more
like I ate too much cake.
I'm not sure why I'm grabbing my
own boob.


15 weeks pregnant.
Definitely starting to look more like
a baby bump!  I'm starting to show
through some of my t-shirts now too.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hey, look at your cute little bump!

Morning sickness is a whole different ball game to being ill isn't it. You are definitely not a wuss! I know how you feel about almost wishing you were sick. I was the same with Emma, constant nausea without ever actually being sick. With Lily I was actually sick a couple of times and is did (temporarily) help.

Enjoy the second trimester. You get phenomenal amounts of energy, especially around 20 weeks. I became a nesting machine in my second trimesters...the house was never cleaner or more organised.

Incidentally, don't underestimate the fun involved in being one of those pregnant women who just sits around on her arse. You only get to do it in your first pregnancy :-)

Anonymous said...

You still have a way to go to beat my belly lol xxx Mum

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paula its a very cute bump which will get alot bigger!

Glad to hear you are feeling alot better, you will soon be feeling the little buterfly flutters which are another magical moment.

Your Mums comment made me LOL.

Love Lynn