Monday 20 June 2011

Father's day and Christening cards

Below is the card I made for a friend's son's Christening. I used the material from the card kit I had for the 'best wishes' card in the previous post, and I think it came out ok. I find Christening cards quite awkward to do, as I am not religious and think it would be a bit hypocritical to be all 'may God be with you' etc. if you don't really believe the sentiment.

I have found the material in this card kit difficult to work with. I think it's because of the busy background of the card designs.

________________

My Dad is into metal detecting, so I decided to create a card influenced by this. It does look a little odd, but I was trying to break away from the 'stick square here, then add caption there' format I have fallen into (see card above!).
For the base, I stained a card with antiquing stain. Next I dampened a section of cross stitch aida and dripped the same antiquing stain over it to give it an aged appearance. Once dried, I pick at the threads so it had a more worn look.
The embellishments are a couple of coins I had kept from France which I then set into some melted wax, and attached to the aida. I stuck some synthetic mossy material along the edge to give the impression of hidden treasure and finished the card off with some lettering tiles. I also personalised the envelope, as I wasn't convinced the metal detecting theme came across too well!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Father's Day card, the envelope is a lovely touch, really finishes it off nicely!

Lainey said...

Thanks! Metal detecting isn't the easiest theme to work with!